mostly photos.. and hardly frequent..

Saturday, January 06, 2007

times of India

I feel my generation.. those born in the 70's have had to witness the maximum change in India, more than any other generation. (My father agrees. Not sure about his father though.. ;D..) . There have been so many changes over a period of 10 years that sometimes I find it hard to figure out which side of India I am in.. the one about 10 years ago or the one which just passed around 3 years ago or the one which is there right now. But the rules of open mind give some solace by just accepting changes as they are and me being what I am at that moment.

What changes am I talking about?

Lifestyle?

The overall lifestyle of people has changed. Blame it on mobile revolution, cable TV and boom of consumerism, we are far better than where we were 10 years ago. The pace which took my parents to get to a level of comfort in life took exponentially less time for me to reach there and beyond. For my juniors, much much lesser. Its not about money, but the mindset.

Mindset?

Comes in easy money, comes with it the liberation of thoughts. Blame it on IT/BPO revolution and American influence on philosophy, thoughts and urge for expression of those thoughts. From single track (which seems mostly due to around three and a half centuries of captivation), goal oriented restless one, Indian mind seems to have matured into a far more relaxed, looking-at-the-big-picture-of-life kind of a mind.. (phew.. :)..). Its not all about mind, but freedom.

Freedom?

The very picture of freedom has changed. Blame it on educated analytical mind, internet, and the haute couture of being different and individualistic opinionism (makes sense?). Freedom meant responsibility. It meant to be one-in-the-crowd. This crowd could mean a family, a community, a city or the country. An unwritten code of conduct was followed. Crowd meant more to the individual, than himself or herself. This has changed today. It means freedom to be yourself. It means voicing your opinion and not be obliged to be one-in-the-crowd. It means being assertive enough not to follow the crowd if that is not where one wants to go. Its not all about freedom, but started with family.

Family?

Joint families were common around 30 years ago. They still exist, but are exceptions than common. Blame it on population explosion, globalization and industrialization. The joint families broke into nuclear families. The next thing is what I call unclear families. Unclear yet? Its not all about family, but woman.

Woman?

Woman has changed. Blame it on financial freedom and woman's liberation. The family used to be woman centric with man earning the bread and the lady managing the home. This has changed with both man and the lady working both at home and outside. Then there is the next one, where there is no marriage(or a Gandharva Vivaha?), rather the commitment to relationship/family. Unclear family is just relative to the nuclear family as I described earlier.

Huh.. I've hit the end of tunnel for today. I don't find the need for a conclusion of this topic since this is just an observation and not meant to conclude anything. No judgments to be made nor a statement. On a weekend I would rather save those grey cells than burn them. mmm.. Did I succeed?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home